The name of Horsforth is a combination of horse and ford, although the exact location of the ford is unknown. It was first mentioned in the Domesday Book 1086. Horsforth was amalgamated with Leeds in 1970.
The Horsforth Arts Society was founded in 1959 by a group of 7 people who were enthusiastic about art, including Harold Snape JP a local councillor and Tom Sykes, a well known local artist. The first meeting place was in Broadway Hall but as membership increased new premises were needed. For some time the Society met in the Mechanics Institute in Town Street Horsforth, which is now part of the library. As membership increased further the Studio at Back Lane was rented. The Studio which is part of an old stone terrace, has been the home of the Society for more than 30 years.
A number of wood carvers who had been meeting at the Featherbank Centre in Horsforth found that their facilities in the Centre were no longer available. The Society made one of its rooms available for woodcarving which is part of the crafts enjoyed during the day, see activities page. In the room you will see the wood carvers quietly whittling away!
In 2009, the Society celebrated its 50th anniversary and since then the Society has continued to flourish.